Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Elizabeth's story

I just read Elizabeth Smart's book My Story in a single sitting. Hers is a tale of how faith and the cherished love of family can preserve the soul untouched even when the devil incarnate (Immanuel, indeed; may he find the lowest ring in hell) is defiling the body and doing his utmost to undermine the spirit. Elizabeth writes:

    The main reason I was able to survive is because of my God, my family, and my community.

Although I am an atheist, I have the deepest appreciation and admiration for sincere religious sentiment. And I have rarely encountered such a pure and confident expression of faith, untainted by doubt, as one finds in this book. Elizabeth and her family represent the best that Mormon faith and family have to offer.

Read the book; then, just ask yourself: Who would you rather have as a role model for our young women, Elizabeth or a twerking Miley Cyrus?

No comments:

Post a Comment