Sunday, September 30, 2018

Who drove Ford home?

Ford's selective memory is also highly suspect. She says that the fact that it was Brett Kavanaugh who sexually assaulted her is indelibly imprinted on her hippocampus. And yet, her memories of other details of the event, for example, where and when it occurred and how she got home afterwards (did someone drive her? did she walk?) have vanished.

Ask yourself: Where were you and what were you doing when John Kennedy was shot or 9/11 occurred? Surely, your memories of these traumatic events contain an abundant store of details. Mine do. I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing for much of 9/11/2001 (I was at a W3C Conference in San Jose). Is it possible that Ford could remember some, but not all, of the details of an event that she insists was so traumatic that it has had a psychological impact on her for 35 years?

When John Kennedy was shot, I was in 5th grade (about 10 years old) at St Leo's Grammar School in San Jose. I had asked my teacher, Mrs. Pereira, if I could go to the restroom. When I returned from the restroom, I found the class standing, praying for John Kennedy. When I asked one of my classmates what was going on, I was told that Kennedy had been shot. I remember thinking to myself "Hmmm. It must have been a hunting accident. I didn't know that Kennedy was a hunter." I realized later on that the reason I assumed it was a hunting accident was because my father was a deer hunter and I associated shooting with deer hunting.

How is it possible for me to have such vivid memories from over 50 years ago (I am 64 now), but for Ford not to remember how she got home on that traumatic evening in her life? It would be one thing if she said that someone had driven her, but she could not remember who (as I cannot remember which of my classmates told me that Kennedy had been shot). It is quite another for her to say that she cannot remember at all how she got home, in particular, when she remembers the subsequent fact that she did not tell her parents about the event because she was afraid they would be angered that she was at a party where drinking was going on.

How did she get home? Did someone drive her? Did she say anything to the driver or others in the car about the alleged event? How convenient for Ford to have indelible memories about who her attacker was, but not to recall who she drove home with, people who presumably could provide additional testimony about that night.

No comments:

Post a Comment