Tuesday, October 24, 2017

The politicization of psychiatry

It is not enough that late night comedy, the Academy Awards, and the NFL have been politicized. Now even psychiatry has to be politicized, too.

In other words, a few shrinks disagree with The Donald's politics, so they are going to label him as psychologically unfit to serve as president.

The logical extension of this would be that these same shrinks should screen all political candidates beforehand since obviously only shrinks are qualified to tell us who is and who is not psychologically fit for office. I wonder what kind of candidates we would get as a result. Gee, do you think we would get many (any) conservatives? I wonder what the party affiliations of all the members of the Duty To Warn movement are. Would they screen me out if I said I was opposed to gay marriage? I know. I'm sick, sick, sick.

But what is truly astonishing is the utter tone deafness of these people to the political ramifications of their actions. Could anything undermine support for the Democratic Party in flyover country more than a bunch of pointy-headed, bi-coastal, whiny elites using post-modernist psychological gobbledygook (like "malignant normalization:" wow, such big words) to try to subvert a democratically elected president? Steve Bannon himself couldn't have come up with something better.

No comments:

Post a Comment